Monday 23 May 2011

Race for Life

I have finally done it.

After many years of thinking about it, this year I have actually signed up to do the Race for Life.

I will be running my race at Weston Park in Shropshire on 24th July with my daughter, Liberty. I know that the event is much more about woman getting together, having fun and raising money for Cancer Research but I am hoping, as well, to actually achieve something I have never done before and run the 5K. I won't completely beat myself up if I have to walk for some of the way but it is my intention not to.

I am probably in the best shape I've ever been in fitness wise but there is always room for improvement. My 5K training program starts today!

I will need some new running shoes but thanks to the Race for Life stand at the Baby Show this weekend, I already have some rather splendid pink shoelaces (bound to make anyone run better!)


I am doing this in memory of my older sister who lost her life to cancer before her 36th birthday. I'd like to think that she will be watching over me, making sure the weather is perfect and giving me the encouragement to go on when I think I can't run anymore. However, I am under no illusions. If she does watch over me she will think it hilarious to give me muddy puddles to run through that turn out to be much deeper than they look and probably make sure my lovely pink shoelaces come undone with the suitably comedic struggle not to go flying as my feet tangle up in them. Whatever cosmic tricks she plays on me will be fine - after 16 years of life without her in it, the little moments I attribute to her keep the memory of her alive.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck :) The first time I did it the weather decided that it would be a good idea to be the hottest day of the year. I thought I was going to spontaneously combust - heat rash like you've never known....
    Other than that, and the fact that I'd never run that far in my life and could barely walk afterwards, it was great fun & I really enjoyed the experience.

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great the you and Liberty are participating in The Race for Life. I am sure that if Carol does watch over you on 24th July, she will be so proud of you both.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...