Tuesday 24 May 2011

The Gallery - Week 60 - My Backyard

I am really lucky to have a good back garden. It was very well stocked with plants 5 years ago when we bought the house and it seems that whatever horticultural atrocity I commit, something beautiful appears as if by magic to fill the gaps that my misjudgements created.

I had all sorts of ideas about what photograph to post for this week's Gallery prompt: nature's works of art, before and after projects, outdoor parties, some of the host of wildlife that call my garden home... In the end I decided to go with an image that 'backyard' conjures to me which is much more utilitarian than beautiful.

I always enjoy warm, blowy days that are perfect for drying washing and there is something very satisfying about rows of neatly hung laundry. That was going to be my angle. A wash day photograph.

It just so happened that it was long overdue for my three year old's comfort blanket to be given the benefit of a wash cycle and some lightly scented detergent. It gets incredibly grubby as she drags it around with her.

I could not resist choosing this wash day photo for my contribution for the gallery.

It can be very hard to be parted from the things you love most in the world.

8 comments:

  1. awwww...lovely! Mine have blankets too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sweet, I always have to do the essentials on a quick wash so they are done before R gets chance to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. line dried washing is so much nicer, your post really made me smile, and a really lovely photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too used the word utilitarian...fancy that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone would think we had the same upbringing, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your entry and agree that line dried washing really is the best! Is it a sign that you're getting old when you wake up and think "oooooh great weather for doing the washing!" - because I am doing that a lot lately!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely and unique take on this weeks theme! I remember as a child hiding behind the sheets on the line at home, they seemed so big back then! It's a gorgeous photo,she must really love that blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. An adorable photo x My little sister had a comfort blanket and I think that my daughter will have one too x A lovely interpretation of the theme x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...