Wednesday 11 May 2011

Breast is best - for fewer behavioural problems?

The BBC have reported that babies who are breastfed for at least four months are less likely to develop behavioural problems in later life. The research fails to determine whether this is because of some magical property of breast milk or is a case of mothers that breast feed have better interaction with their babies (which I'm sure will annoy mums who bottle feed and have perfectly good interactions!)

I found the whole thing to be a bit wishy washy and unsubstantiated but my opinion on breastfeeding remains resolutely unchanged.

I have breastfed all 6 of my children for well beyond four months. It wasn't always easy but it was what I wanted to do and with perseverance I have managed. I have to believe that a body that has performed the miracle of supporting a developing foetus and delivering a baby must also know what it is doing when it comes to nutrition. I trust my body to provide my growing infants with exactly what they need. So far, it has not let me down.

For me, breast is definitely best regardless of what any Oxford researcher may tell me (apart from anything else, have you ever actually tasted formula milk? It is not nice.)

2 comments:

  1. If I could go back to when I first became a Mum I would definately perservere with breast feeding. Without question, it is the most natural thing in the world and I bitterly regret that I wasn't told this when I had my first baby. I thought because I had problems that meant that I shouldn't breast feed so I reverted to bottle feeding but wasn't happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, this report was far too wishy-washy to be useful to anyone. It serves only to make mothers who don't breast feed feel guilty.

    My first baby fed so easily, I couldn't understand why people used formula at all. When I had my second, I understood. It was horrible. I am lucky to have received lots of help, and I did keep going, but she was weaned earlier than my first. I'm glad to have experienced how wonderful it can be, but I only feel compassion for those who cannot do it. When I read these reports I have to wonder why they publish them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...