Tuesday 3 May 2011

Baked Camembert

Some time ago, I went out for a romantic meal with my husband. For our starter, we chose a shared Baked Camembert with Red Onion Marmalade and freshly baked bread. This is something that we have tried making at home since I had it as a main course (rather rebelliously when I was pregnant) at a restaurant that my in-laws sometimes take us to in Sussex.

The presentation of the starter when it was brought out to us on our table for two was something that elevated it way beyond the home effort that we had thus far accomplished. I made mental notes and at the first opportunity, tried to recreate it in my own kitchen. I didn't quite have the rustic wooden board that the restaurant had used to serve the starter but I did the best with what I had.

It was so easy and felt so special that it is definitely up there on my top 10 favourite treats.

This was how I did it.

1. Take one Camembert, some Red Onion Chutney, Part Baked Baguettes and chives (from the garden)


2. Score crisscrosses into the skin of the camembert with a sharp knife and place it back into the wooden lid.


 3. Place the cheese on a stoneware baking sheet and bake for 10mins in a preheated oven (220 ÂșC). Put the part baked bread on the baking sheet and cook for a further 7 - 10 minutes.


4. Slice the hot bread, garnish cheese with chopped chives and serve with chutney.


5. Enjoy. (Obviously, this cries out for a glass of wine to accompany it!)

2 comments:

  1. This is yummy! I had it in a restaurant with a whole baked garlic, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried this, but always fancied it. When I've finished my diet I'll have a go. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...