Thursday 8 November 2012

Fifty Things to do Before we are Fifty

Seven years ago, I was in a failing marriage. My kids were all growing up fast and my eldest was preparing to leave home. I had an overwhelming sense that the best of my life was over and all that was left for me was waiting to die. I wasn't chronically depressed about this. Just accepting and defeated.

The feeling did not last for long. Whether I found some inner strength for the sake of my children or just because my spirit refused to play dead I don't know but the truth is I started imagining life after divorce. I started believing in the possibilities.

I dabbled in internet dating, I thought about potential careers, I met up with an old friend that I hadn't seen for twenty years who promised to teach me to sail.

Seven years later, my old friend still hasn't taught me to sail - but he did marry me and he gave me a brand new son and daughter. My life now is chaotic and wonderful - full of love and laughter. It is the polar opposite of waiting to die.

Yesterday, my husband celebrated his 49th birthday and in 5 months time, I will be about to do the same. Having known a time when life had very little value to me, I am determined to make the most of the years I have left. My husband feels much the same. With this in mind, we came up with a plan. We are compiling a list of "Fifty Things to do Before we are Fifty" and giving ourselves a budget of 50 x £50.

It is good fun simply thinking of things for our list but of course the real enjoyment begins when we start doing them. We have until 30th April 2014 to complete our challenge and if all goes well there's aways "60 Things to do Before We're 60" and "70 Things to do before We're 70"....

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant thing to do...please do share how you get on with that. I'm not that far behind you at 42, think your 50 things before your 50 is something I'd like to do with my hubby too x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...