Friday 10 May 2013

Market Drayton 10K Road Race

There are a lot of signs like this that have popped up in various locations around the town where I live.


The route for the Market Drayton 10K Road Race passes right by my house. In previous years I have sat on my front wall with the neighbours and cheered the participants as they ran/jogged/walked past. I wondered what it would be like to take part and wished that I was amongst their number, pushing onwards towards the finish line.

This Sunday, I will be amongst their number and will know exactly what it is like to take part with each breathe, each step and each pain I experience. I am not looking to set any records. This being my very first 10K I am guaranteed a personal best time as long as I finish, and that is all I am aiming for - to finish, and to enjoy each and every punishing kilometre!

Numbers ready

I only started running seriously last September when I joined a Beginners Group with my local running club. I still have to pinch myself when I think about how much progress I've made since those early training sessions. I have loved the journey it has taken me on - learning about myself and what my body is capable of. I have loved meeting new people and spending time with my daughter who runs with me. I have loved how my husband and two more of my daughters are now getting involved. When I run on Sunday I will be celebrating all of this.

I am very proud to be taking part in the Market Drayton 10K. Not only has this race been voted the Number 1 10K race by readers of Runner's World, it is a fantastic example of community pulling together and achieving something amazing. Now all we have to do is hope for some good running weather!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...